Thursday, December 07, 2006

If the World Were a Village

A long while back, I thought about how the world would be divided up if the entire human civilizataion were a village. On Ch. 14, the section about International Public Relations made me think about this again & I never knew that there was a popular children's book about it.

It goes on to say that the world would look like this:
- 24 residents would have no electricity, most others would only use it at night.
- 22 would speak Chinese, 9 would speak English, 7 would speak Spanish.
- 20 would earn less than a dollar each day.
- 17 would not be able to read or write
- 10 would be younger than 5 yrs old, 39 would be younger than 19, 1 would be older than age 79.
- 7 would not own a computer

(Source: 3rd edt. Public Relations - pg. 460)

Its unbelievable how many people live in unsuitable conditions according to our standards. Not only that, but there are many individuals who own more than 1, 2, or maybe 3 computers. The thing that gets me the most is that 20% earn less than a dollar a day.

This really goes to show that many people in this country do not take what they have for granted. There are millions everywhere else in the world that only wish to have 1/3 of what we have.

I'm glad I came across this section in Ch. 14, it gave me more insight on this issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home